Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Encaustic Figurative Painting, artist Janet Amundson-Splidsboel

"Ruby" is a 12"x12" encaustic painting.  This is the last painting I'll do for a while of women with arms raised.  I plan to keep Ruby for some time since she makes me feel happy.  Isn't it funny how subjective art is?  Today I submitted 3 paintings to a show and Ruby was one of them, but out of the 3 paintings the other 2 were selected and Ruby was not, even though she was my favorite of the three.  She had a different title, so now that I have her back I've named her Ruby.  -Janet Amundson-Splidsboel


  1. "Ruby" is a beautiful piece and the swirls of the wallpaper make a lovely foil for the curves of the woman.

    There is no accounting for the jury process, and while "Ruby" wasn't selected, it does not diminish her beauty.

    I will watch to see what you do after this group of women with their arms raised! Beautiful work, as always, Janet

  2. I'm glad you got to keep her! What a lovely figure: she seems wispy like clouds.